Monday, February 19, 2018

The JS Elcano


Judy. I really know nothing about sailing (despite a short period of time when we owned a Sunfish) and even less about the Navy. In 1976, during America’s Bicentennial celebration, I remember everyone talking about the “Tall Ships” sailing into New York Harbor, and then seeing them on television. And we have a friend, Mikaela, who crews a tall ship in Australia and sends photos and videos.

But nothing prepared me for the visit of the JS Elcano to the harbor here in Cádiz.


 
I’ve mentioned our surprise when we saw her as we took our walk, and how much we enjoyed the brief tour. We were told that she’d be sailing away on Sunday afternoon, so we decided to stop by to watch.

Those of you who have Naval ties have probably seen the crew sing as they pull away.  I had not, so I was completely unprepared for the crew on deck, the band playing and the chorus singing farewell, all of them waving their hats at us. It was incredibly moving; as I looked at the crowd gathered to watch her go, I realized I wasn’t the only one crying.



She pulled out with two tugs and a flotilla of sailboats surrounding her. We followed out to one of the seawalls to watch and try to catch a photo or two as the crew raised her sails. This is when my choice to use my Smartphone as a camera is totally useless.


BUT, our friend Pépe, who docks his sailboat across the bay, was part of the flotilla, and sent us pictures, so I can share the size and majesty of the Elcano. He says that Cádiz is her home port, and the Gaditanos feel a close affinity to her. It was certainly evident as we watched everyone wave her out to sea.






Pépe, who knows these things, says that after docking in ports around South America, she’ll sail into Charleston. I don’t know when, but you can find out. And she’ll definitely be worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment