Friday, February 16, 2018

The beauty of "We"

Ted. Way back in 1975 I lived in Germany for about a year. Though it was a wonderful opportunity to immerse myself in another language and culture, I always felt a bit at odds with local customs. I distinctly remember washing my little VW Bug in the street one bright Sunday morning and being scolded by a neighbor lady. “It is forbidden to wash a car on Sunday!” When asked why, she replied, “Because there is a law against it.” There were many other examples of rules that restricted individual rights for the common good. My American individualism was in conflict with the European sense of obligation to others. This felt wrong to me and it wasn’t long before I was back in the States where I could wash all of my cars, whenever I saw fit and use as much water as I wanted.

Now that I am older, and hopefully a tidbit wiser, I begin to understand the European perspective. The population density in Europe is more than double that of the US. In addition to more open space, the US has far more natural resources such as forests, farmland, water and fossil fuels. Over the centuries, European wars of conquest and colonization were caused in part by limited resources and a perceived need for “living space.” So, it makes sense that 21st century Europeans make a much greater effort to conserve available resources than Americans. They really have to and, in the short term, we really don't!

For example, in our apartment here in Cádiz, we share a single trashcan with the five other families that live in our building. We all carry our recycling down the street.

Our building's trashcan







Our recycling center (with great view)

The high cost of energy and living space affects the European lifestyle in many ways. A large percentage of the folks here do not own a car so they travel by foot, bus or train. It is much easier to just walk to the local markets and visit your local bar or cafe. So, small businesses thrive and you see your neighbors nearly every day. 

Apartments and houses in Europe are generally smaller so there is more reliance on common spaces. City parks, open spaces and cafes serve as their front and back yards and living rooms.

Two ladies visiting over a coffee
Folks come to these places to sit and read in solitude or chat with family and friends They expect you to respect their privacy.

This strong sense of community manifests itself in many ways. During the Carnaval celebrations here, I have noticed that there are very few individual costumes. Most everyone is dressed the same as a family member or friend. For instance, we saw two couples walking together; all four of them dressed as pirates. We also spied two ladies with their children, all dressed as grandmas (someone’s mother?). 



A big contribution to the Carnaval festivities comes from dozens of amateur singing clubs. These groups come in different sizes and work all year to create new programs. Wearing matching costumes, they sing original pieces, which are often political satires. The performers blend individual gestures with vocal harmonies. There are tons of videos on YouTube. Just type in Cadiz Carnaval.

For me, the choices that European individuals and societies make represent a triumph of “we” over “me." But that leads to another question. There is a constant struggle in Europe, and elsewhere to define "we." Our neighbors here in Cádiz call themselves Gaditanos, Andalusians, Spaniards and Europeans. Which "we" is most important?

I'll close with a little clip I made of one of the singing groups at Carnaval:







No comments:

Post a Comment