Saturday, March 11, 2017

Siem Reap, Cambodia

Judy. OK, I love Siem Reap.  I know all the reasons I shouldn’t: the smoke and mirrors of the tourism industry hide the real poverty of the country, corruption is rampant in the government (ha--like ours isn’t?), etc.  But I just love it. I love the energy here, I love dodging busses, tuk-tuks, motorcycles. I love how kind the people are. I love the night market where each stall owner tells me I’ll get a special discount because “You’re my first customer!” I love walking in the morning till I’m dripping in sweat, then plunging into the hotel pool to cool down before my nap. I love riding in tuk-tuks.


You can tell me all the reasons I should feel bad here, but I just love it.

I do see work that needs to be done, and issues I need to understand. Our tuk-tuk driver, Wei, asked the first day, “Want to see the killing fields?” as though he was asking about visiting Epcot. We went, and saw a memorial including a stupa with skulls of the victims of the Khmer Rouge. There were Buddhist shrines all around. And open-air shops selling clothing, food, and cold drinks.  Folks gotta live, I guess. Then we saw a facility where land-mine victims learned skills they could use to make things to sell to tourists.  We stood uncomfortably while three disabled men played Cambodian instruments for our entertainment. It was awkward at best. There is still healing to be done here.


And, oh, the poverty.  It is, after all, a third world country.

And on the positive side, we toured a facility, Life Project Cambodia, where two remarkable young men, Kosal, who is Cambodian, and Vin, who is Australian, work with 23 children and their families. They see to it that the children are able to attend and stay in school, helping to pay fees if necessary, so they can work their way out of the cycle of poverty. There are computers so kids can do homework or get help, food for them, housing for those who have no homes, play and art areas and equipment.  They have helped one talented young soccer player get a scholarship for a 7-week study in Australia.  Three are in college studying to become nurses.  One who just couldn’t do well enough in academic studies is now learning in the hospitality industry.


But it doesn’t stop there.  They helped the moms of these kids develop a cottage industry and found an outlet so the moms can help pay for family needs.  This has built up self-reliance.  The children eat breakfast and lunch at the school (some have dinner) so parents can more easily feed the ones at home. It’s helping to give families stability.

Vin is about to return to Australia to do a couple of years of serious fund-raising.  It’s hard for a three-year-old NGO to get funding till they’ve  proved themselves, but they’ve recently gotten a stamp of approval from Rotary, a huge step. With more support, they can help more kids. The grounds are large, with office, study and play rooms, rooms for two college students, a kitchen, soccer field and volleyball court, plus a space to plant saplings as part of the 10,000 Trees Project, from which they’ll receive some small income. 

They’re very protective of the kids—no tourists, no volunteers. We only got to visit because our friend Karen, who is friends with Vin’s mom, told us about it.  Integrity is the name of the game.

Check them out on their website:  http://lifeprojectcambodia.org, or their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/lifeprojectcambodia.  Click in a little donation.  Doesn’t have to be much—there are so very many good charities. But a little something would be great.  And thanks.


More on this wonderful city later.

No comments:

Post a Comment