Tuesday, July 18, 2017

10 things I love about Atlanta

Ted. While taking a morning walk around the neighborhood in Atlanta where we are currently living, I was reminded that it is really  different from many of the cities we have visited this year, but I like it.

The City Built in a Forest
This well-earned nickname says it all. And the trees are most appreciated for the shade they cast during the dog days of summer.

“Hey”
Everyone I meet on the sidewalk has a smile and a greeting. There are nearly 7 million people in metro Atlanta but it’s really just a collection of small neighborhoods.

“Hey, y’all”
Southernisms sound gentle to my ear now that I have lived in Georgia more than half of my life. To hear other expressions, check out “Sh%t Southern Women Say” on YouTube.

Diversity
Every morning I pass whites, blacks, Hispanics and Asians on the sidewalk. They live side by side in most neighborhoods.

International
This is one of the fastest growing international communities in the world. The children playing together in the parks speak many different languages to their parents but English to each other. The variety of ethnic restaurants is incredible.

Dekalb Farmers Market
Strolling the aisles, one can hear ten languages in 20 minutes.  I counted 15 different types of hot peppers. And the varieties of fish they sell…my, oh my!

Uber
Many of the places we visited in Europe have banned Uber. I realize they have their reasons but it is nice to be back in a place that has embraced ride sharing.

Active communities of faith
Churches, synagogues, mosques and temples seem to be on every street corner. Furthermore, they are well attended by young and old alike.

Ponce City Market
Atlanta is finally embracing a concept we have seen elsewhere around the world. The city is learning to repurpose older buildings rather than tear them down. 

Baseball
Whether they win or lose, the Atlanta Braves still have a ton of fans and one sees the ball caps everywhere. Yeah, it's a quaint, old-fashioned game but it’s still alive here and I love it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment