I’m also a cynic about FIFA. It’s a corrupt football (soccer) organization at best, and the way they jacked the ticket prices for this series of matches was just lousy. I decided I’d boycott the whole thing.
Then, while we were in Boston, the Tartan Army came over to celebrate the Scottish team, putting traffic cones on the heads of statues, drinking Boston dry, playing the pipes at any given moment at any given place, and being truly wonderful tourists.
Lawrence, Kansas, hosting the Algerian team, greeted their arrival wearing green shirts (team color) and singing their national anthem.
Some guy named Fred from Germany posted about the wonders of all foods American—soda refills, huge portions, and ranch dressing, for crying out loud. Folks were packing bottles in their suitcases to return home.
Buc-ee’s, Waffle House, Costco, and Walmart, businesses I’m not usually fond of, were sought after and celebrated.
Americans took photos with, drank with, and talked with fans who were delighted to be here.
We found ourselves in sports bars all along the East Coast, cheering on our teams with people we’ve never met.
Yeah, there were some issues, and FIFA is still corrupt, but what I’ll always remember is that the world embraced us, and we, the world. Political junk took a back seat. And for the first time in years I am really proud of my country.
Happy 250th, America.
No comments:
Post a Comment