Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Topkapi Palace

Ted. I first heard the word Topkapi when I saw a wonderful film from 1964 with the same name. It starred Peter Ustinov and other great European actors and the plot involved the theft of an incredible jeweled dagger from a palace in Istanbul. 

Until our visit to Istanbul last month, that is all I knew of Topkapi. I now understand that the Topkapi Palace served as the main residence of the Ottoman sultans in the 15th, 16th and 17th centuries – sort of a Turkish Versailles, but nicer - in my opinion.

I really liked the Ottoman architecture and the intimacy of the small pavilions scattered around a series of lovely courtyards. 

The Palace is a very popular tourist destination but we got there as it opened one morning and were able to enjoy a leisurely stroll through the grounds and buildings. There is a ton of information on the Palace in Wikipedia so I won’t attempt to duplicate that. Here are a few photos.

A small garden

Glorious ceiling

A throne in every building

The Sultan's Library

View of the Golden Horn

One of the pavilions


The Bosporus from Seraglio Point (yep, as in Abduction)

Another glorious ceiling



And finally... The Sultan's Dagger!

No comments:

Post a Comment