Saturday, July 31, 2021

Remembering 1971

Ted. Judy and I are currently in Cocoa Beach, Florida to celebrate the 50th wedding anniversary of our friends, Doug & Carolyn. 

This morning, I walked up to the beach and had a flash back to my first visit here.

In January of 1971, I was typical 18 year old freshman at Purdue University in Indiana, dreaming of spring break in warmer climes. My friend, George and I decided to hitch hike to Florida. By January 30 we had made it as far as Cocoa Beach and spent the night sleeping under some palm trees. 

The next afternoon, we stood among a huge crowd and watched the launch of Apollo 14. I still remember that the ground actually shook! 

50 years later, another Atlas 5 rocket is teed up at Cape Canaveral as you can see from the photo below. In a couple of days, it will carry supplies to the International Space Station.

Around 1935, Werner Von Braun predicted that the first man to walk on the moon had already been born. My fellow Purdue alum, Neil Armstrong was born in 1930.








No comments:

Post a Comment