Thursday, April 18, 2024

Béisbol!

Ted. My favorite sport is baseball so I was excited to read that opening day for the Oaxaca professional team was on April 12. On Saturday, Judy and I attended the game between the Guerreros (Warriors) of Oaxaca and El Águila (The Eagle - singular) of Vera Cruz. It was very similar to a minor league game in the US, with a few twists. Seats right behind home plate were only $9 each. 




The rules are pretty much the same and the quality of play was very good. This was definitely a family friendly event and there were lots of kids (and grandparents). 

















I don’t know if they have a concession stand but beer, soft drinks and every imaginable snack (except hotdogs) were peddled in the stands. Tacos, pizzas, crepes, popcorn, potato chips and popsicles were going fast all night long. 


Being Mexico, music always plays a big part. There was some US rock and lots of Mexican songs for which everyone knew the words. For the 7th inning stretch, the crowd stood, hugged and swayed to a love song called Mi Linda Oaxaca (My Lovely Oaxaca). Again, everyone knew the words and sang loudly about the city they love so much. There were silly games between innings and the Beso Cam (Kiss Cam) was always on the prowl. Whenever we got a hit, the announcer urged us to make some RUIDO!! (noise). Being from Atlanta, we loved it when they did the Tomahawk Chop. I told Judy that apparently it is politically correct here. She reminded me that virtually everyone in the stands had indigenous blood so it must be fine. 


Our homeboys killed the Eagle 13-3 and I proudly wore my Guerreros ball cap as we walked home after a fun night. Too bad we forgot to bring luchero masks!



No comments:

Post a Comment