Sunday, February 10, 2019

New ways of seeing, Part 2


Judy. Of course, as soon as I posted my last blogpost, I thought of a couple of other things that might be of interest.

Capuccino with a side of water
In Argentina and Uruguay, and in some places in Chile, when you order your coffee, you’re also given a small glass of mineral water. I really like this! As much as I love coffee, I get thirsty afterwards, and a little glass of water hits the spot.




Sale!
Marketing is often in English or a combination of English and Spanish, yet in the shops, I seldom meet a sales associate who speaks English. Interestingly, we saw the same thing on television!
Breaking news







In all three countries, I am pleasantly surprised at the plethora of public art, whether sculpture or mural. Of course the “Dedos De Las Arenas” in Puento del Este is well known. In Chile, the metro stations, which were built in the 80’s, have some beautiful murals.
By an office in Santiago

Mural at El Golf metro station









There are many, many bookstores and newsstands. With the decline of independent and chain bookstores in the United States, it makes me happy to see all the well-appointed and well-shopped bookstores. Even in Bariloche, Argentina, a tourist destination, I spotted four bookstores on the main street!


Bookstore in Montevideo
Newsstand in Santiago


Many buildings here have “living walls” covered in plants. It’s not only pretty, but helps air quality as well. We’ve seen them on large buildings and small walls around cafes.
And on the front of an office building

Living wall around a cafe




No comments:

Post a Comment